The past few posts have been a bit long, so this one will be concise and blunt. I run into many people at my workshops who are unemployed. When I offer a FREE coaching session to help them, a few balk. Why? I think:
- They like unemployment (stay with me here).
- They want someone else to do the thinking and searching for them.
- They are afraid of doing it themselves.
- It's easier to not make a decision/do something rather than making a decision or acting on an opportunity.
Why does this happen? Because they lived on the corporate teat for the last 20-25 years. What do I mean by that?
They got lazy at work. They did the same thing every day — hoping and praying (as the world changed around them) that no one would notice.
Unfortunately, someone did. And they were let go from their job. Now they are desperately looking for a new job just like their old job. They are looking for a new job just like they worked for their old job — they're telegraphing it in.
I'm not saying that they didn't work hard. They probably did. But they didn't work SMART. They didn't push themselves into KEY initiatives or projects that would change the company. Or developed a process that saved the company a lot of money. Bottom line - did they affect the growth of the business, save a lot of money, or change the game? No. They sucked on the corporate teat.
Let me say that again — are you:
- Affecting the growth of your business? Talking to a new major client? Releasing a new product?
- Saving your company a lot of money? Cost cutting, streamlining, better allocation of resources?
- Changing the game? Orthogonal thinking, coming up with major ideas/solutions that no one has thought of?
What's funny is that these unemployed people are now moving from the corporate to the federal/state/city teat. They can't find a 'safe' job in corporate — so they hope to find a 'safe' job in a public position. Unfortunately, I see that cost-cutting will start to matriculate down into these areas too in the next 5-10 years. So guess what? These 'safe' jobs are not really safe.
So don't sleep at work. Impact the growth of your business. Save your company a lot of money. Change the game. Start TODAY.